Saturday 28 January 2012

A Little More Fascinating

Today's knitting has consisted entirely of Winterthorn 3 but I have been able to get some passable photos and do some felting.

A couple of days ago I got round to casting off prototype 2 of the fascinator. The main aim of prototype (or proof of concept?) 2 was to get the size sorted and - as soon as I'd cast off - it was very clear that it was all it would do. Because it's square. And it's not meant to be square.

This is a fascinator. Really. Trust me.

I once made a scarf where I entirely failed to understand the geometry of what I'd made. I wanted long, pointy triangles yet somehow I was very surprised when I ended up with some very odd, right-angle-y triangles. That really should have taught me to at least think about where my increases would be.





Still, all that matters is that I can check the size. I have a whole other ball to get the shape right. And, once an entirely pointless load of washing was done, it didn't look too bad.

I did try twisting it round into a few different shapes but this was the most promising. Promising yet square.

Unfortunately the little curl is a bit too small to fit the contrasting bit I've already knit but that's because it's actually ridiculously big. I think I'll be trying to make up another load to felt a new contrasting curl for the centre.

Where would I be without T pins?
It's now blocking in a desperate attempt to stretch if from a square into something a little more fascinator-shaped.


I'm quite looking forward to decorating it with some of that weird netting and beads to see if I can make it remotely attractive. I'm not certain that any amount of decorating will disguise the fact that it is a) square and b) boring grey. But I'm looking forward to the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment