Thursday 26 January 2012

Inspiration on the Park & Ride

This is how I now view the internet:




This post contains two important lessons of the week:
1) I really never stop thinking about knitting
2) Everything looks better in my head

The bus company has clearly been having a rubbish week. The buses have been full and late and generally a bit rubbish. This has been my excuse for - when I finally get on a bus - just switching off and not doing any knitting. Any rumour that this is because my current bus project is the damned frog is entirely unfounded. Maybe partially unfounded. Okay, entirely founded.

Anyway, yesterday I actually got a seat and found myself staring at a rather interesting scarf. It was woven rather than knitted but the way the threads intertwined fascinated me. I've been thinking about something with dropped stitches for a while and all of a sudden I could picture a pseudo-checkered scarf with woven bits.

When I got home I waited only long enough to eat dinner and notice that the first series of Sherlock had arrived from Amazon. Then it was to hell with Winterthorn V3! To hell with my fascinator, my rainbow scarf and my sizergh scarf! It was time to try weaving dropped stitches!

About ten minutes into the first episode of Sherlock, it was obvious that it wasn't really working. By the time Watson was meeting with Mycroft I knew I needed a new plan.
See the woven sections? No? That's cause they're rubbish.


By the time I started the second episode I had an interesting but rather unoriginal-looking pattern that might actually work. Photos will probably follow on the weekend when I can get some decent light.

Am I the only one seeing little wheat sheaves?
So, the reason I was composing scarves on the bus? http://www.nimuyarns.co.uk/ and their flash sale on Friday that enticed me into breathtakingly beautiful yarn at 20% off. I managed to limit myself to two skeins: Torva and Aira (again, pictures to come on the weekend). I've found a pattern for the Torva but the Aira has such a stunning sheen and subtle colours that I want something a bit different to show it off.

Torva
Aira
Although it might not be the intricate woven plan I made on the bus, I think the new drop-stich sample might just work in the Torva. The more I think about it, the more I think that the woven idea might be fantastic in two colours. The only thing letting it down is the fact that the woven sections are so tightly packed that it's hard to distinguish them from the moss-stitch sections. There's something in it, I'm just not sure what.

See the woven sections now?

And the Torva? Well, if I can bring myself to wind that vivid blue skein into a ball, it's going to be my next bus project.

Frogs? What frogs?

No comments:

Post a Comment