Monday 16 January 2012

Continuity

I've been rambling far too much lately about my knitting and all those blog posts are spamming up everyone's Ravelry. Woops.

I've not been listening to quite as much radio as normal. Intensive knitting seems to lend itself to trawling through catchup TV and as a consequence I've fallen a bit behind with my normal listening. Fortunately, I have still caught Continuity for the last two weeks.

If I'm completely honest, the fact that it stars Alistair McGowan is probably the reason that I made an effort to listen. I was initially put off by the term "sitcom" (I don't know what else it could be called but someone must be able to think of something). But I'm very glad I stopped being an idiot and listened.

At first, I wasn't too sure the programme had begun. There's no continuity announcement at the start, or the end, just a seamless 15 minutes of Alistair McGowan as a lonely late-shift continuity announcer. It's fantastic and I wonder just how hard they had to work to persuade Radio 4 to leave off even a cast list at the end of the episode. I'm so glad they did. The fact that you can't quite be certain that Continuity has ended leaves you with a very different attitude to whatever comes next. Is it another announcement that PM is being moved to 11AM to fill the "news void"? Or is it for real? I don't think I've ever listened to a trail with such wariness.

No comments:

Post a Comment