Wednesday 27 June 2012

I Get It

Dear Messers Powell (GCSE English teacher) and Shakespeare (deceased),

I would like to publicly apologise for my 16 year old self and her inability to enjoy Henry V. I revoke any negative comments I may have made, specifically any statement that suggested that the play was "boring", "rubbish" or "not as fun as physics".

I realise that Henry V was rather wasted on Teenage Rebecca as, to a large extent, was the whole experience of going to the theatre.

Even in recent years I thought I got it, I really did. I've spent the last couple of months listening to Vivat Rex and I enjoyed the epic scope of it all and the intricate inter-weaving of agendas. I like going to the theatre and I like seeing or hearing Shakespeare plays.

But last night I saw Henry V at the Globe and I really do get it now: it's not about understanding the play, you're actually allowed to enjoy it. And, once you really enjoy it, you can get completely lost in it.

I realise this is something I probably should have understood by now but this is the first time I've come out of a Shakespeare play feeling, not only entertained, but moved, involved, caught up and transported.

I have never described a play as awesome before but that's about the only word I can think to use at this point. Even Teenage Rebecca might be able to relate to that.

Yours sincerely,

Rebecca (ex narrow-minded teenager)

No comments:

Post a Comment