Wednesday 20 June 2012

Balance

I've been busy this week. And last week. And I'll be busy next week. And the week after. In fact, I'm starting to look at November with a fond longing and a rose-tinted vision of a month filled with calm days, quiet evenings and free time.

For the last month I've been mentally penning a letter to Feedback.  Why, oh why, oh why... can't I find a concise way of explaining my complaint.

Hmmm. I actually just typed out a draft version and it was by far the most boring thing I've ever written. And I include university coursework on telescopes in that comparison.

This is going to sound a lot more rant-like than it really is but here's the basis of my issue :
I applied for tickets to the Now Show. It was made extremely clear that it was a random ballot. It would really have helped if they'd said when people would know by or, at least, how they would hear. But at least I wasn't really expecting anything to come of it.

What I did learn is that, if you're successful, you find out at least two weeks before the show. The problem is, two weeks isn't a lot of time when it comes to booking train tickets and hotels. 

Then I applied for tickets to Old Harry's Game and John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme (added benefit: I can now spell "souvenir"). The process was the same but, as there was no mention of a random ballot, I hoped that I would get tickets if I got in before it went to "Fully Booked".

I waited.
John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme booked up.
I waited.
I waited.
I concluded that I probably wasn't getting tickets.
I waited.
Yesterday I got an e-mail for Old Harry's Game on the same day that it booked up.
I was happily excitement to see Old Harry's Game.
I was vaguely confusion about the ticketing system.
Logically, I concluded that I wasn't getting tickets for John Finnemore because I'd have had an e-mail.
I decided it was time to find something else to do on Saturday night or change my plans and just go up for the Sunday.

This afternoon, I got an e-mail to confirm that I've got a ticket for John Finnemore too!

Now, the reason this post is called Balance is down to the fact that I got the e-mail ten minutes after learning that my car had (terminally) failed its MOT. After bad news, on an rubbish day in work, that's part of a busy week in a gloomy month, that was pretty much exactly what I wanted to see in my inbox.

So, although I have a bit of a complaint (which really just amounts to: if you can e-mail me confirmation for my application, why can't you e-mail me to say I don't have tickets? And two weeks notice isn't a lot of time to book trains and hotels) it's balanced by an even bigger thank you. Thank you, BBC ticket unit, you saved up a bit of good news for when I needed it.

Unfortunately I have the nagging feeling that, as I now have to buy a car, I probably shouldn't be spending my money on frivolous trips to London. However, I am choosing to ignore this feeling. Instead I am taking the "compared to a car, what's a trip to London?" approach.

Oh, and if anyone wants a 2001 Corsa, let me know. It's green, generally reliable and would suit someone with spare steering column.

No comments:

Post a Comment