Monday 9 April 2012

There is Custard Where My Milk Should Be

I don't have much of a readership but, what few readers I do have, have been pointing out that I haven't posted much recently. This is because I've been busy. Not so busy that I haven't listened to any radio or done any knitting, only so busy that I haven't had time to write about radio and I haven't done any interesting knitting.

I'm now less than a week away from my far-too-over-hyped trip to London, during which all attempts to keep this blog on a knitting and radio theme will be entirely abandoned. As will any attempt at making posts of a sensible length as it turns out that my phone is incompatible with all but the most costly bluetooth keyboards. Is it a good thing if your phone has more expensive tastes than you do? Probably not.

This weekend I have been finishing off a prototype for attaching bunting to pillars in work, following a staggeringly bargainous find in St Nicks market in Bristol: 25m of 1inch elastic for £4! I'm not going to attempt to describe just how excited I was to get 25m of elastic for £4 and, quite frankly, I'm not sure it would do me any favours if succeeded. I'm not certain that anything you can buy in St Nicks market justifies that level of enthusiasm.

Still, I now have seven little buntlettes/bunts/buntlings/flags/pennants (delete according to taste) mounted on a pillar-sized length of elastic and, if it works, I'll post a picture tomorrow.

In what was left of the weekend I have cooked a pork and cider hotpot (containing more cider than I'd happily admit to) and I've baked apple crumble slices. This has resulted in the scandalous appearance of half a tetrapack of cold custard in my fridge's milk area, typifying the reckless disregard for the normal order of things and the general decay of everyday life that is probably only natural in the run-up to a holiday.

Anyway, although I've been listening to plenty of radio while I've been knitting and baking, it turns out that all my thoughts are rather boring at the moment. So, instead, here are some pictures of the thing that has been keeping me busy over the last few weeks. I proudly(ish) present an amateur masterpiece illustrating what happens when knitting is combined with over-ambitious development and liberally seasoned with a lack of any coherent design:










The part that I'm quite pointlessly happy with is the exporting. Depending on which options you select, you get very different results from the same canvas. But for some strange reason, no one seems quite as excited about this feature as I am.

All these sections come from the same starting pattern, just exported differently (yes, I'm aware that the colours are hideous, that's not the point)


Should anyone have a lot of patience and an unquenchable enthusiasm for amateur pattern programs with insufficient error handling, I'm more than happy to share.

2 comments:

  1. that program looks quite fun - where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I've found it fun but mostly because it's been a bit of a challenge! It's the result of a project for a college evening class, written in Visual Basic. It's still under construction and suffers from a few errors around selecting yarns but I'm hoping to get it working fully with a bit more work.

    ReplyDelete