Monday 16 April 2012

Rewards

I've just been to a student art show, something I never did when I actually was a student. Art is something i've had little to do with but there were several things there that I really enjoyed. Thee were also a lot of people.

Recap time: a few months ago I discovered Kickstarter and on a whim I typed in knitting. What I found was a Bonnie Kate's Knitting the World project. She was looking for funding so she could buy yarn to knit a 7ft map of the world, highlighting the best areas for support of the arts.

Kickstarter is pretty great, I've only supported four projects so far but there will be more, I'm certain. If you've not use kickstarter before, the concept is simple: give people money so they can do their art/design/music/technology and, in return, get stuff!

For obvious reasons, the stuff is often digital. There are a lot of e-book rewards, mp3s and things that don't involve the trials and tribulations of international postage. For the map project, I'm getting a digital photo of the map, a special stitch in the location of my choice a new hat pattern. 85 people supported the project but I think I got one of he best rewards of all - I got to actually see the map and the little stitch that was there because of me (covering most of south west England).

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for digital rewards. But there's something pleasing about actually seeing the thing you helped to fund. To see and touch it. She's used some really lovely yarn. I'm going to continue supporting projects with digital rewards but I'm happy that, this time, I got to see the final finished, impressive product.

I met Bonnie Kate (as friendly and ebullient in real life as she's been in her update videos) and her mother (clearly extremely proud of her daughter). Also I learned that the map has already been sold to a man whose two great loves are knitting and maps. You've got to love the power of the internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment