Sunday 15 April 2012

John Finnemore's Priory Engagement

Okay, first full post on this tiny keyboard so please be patient with all the mistakes.

I've just got back from John Finnemore's Priory Engagement. For those of you with anything other than a perfect memory, it's the sketch try-out for a new series of John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme. If that still doesn't mean anything to you, just think "really great comedy that will be on the radio".

I don't know when the series will be on Radio 4 but, when it is, please, PLEASE listen to it. I promise that you'll laugh out loud. Please, just trust me and listen.

I know that I've gone on about John Finnemtore before but the man is really very talented and tonight only served to emphasise that fact. The idea that this was the *draft* version is crazy. In the fantasy world where I'm controller of Radio 4 there are several things I'd scrap and just replace it all with John Finnemore's mental cutting room floor. There's an attention to detail and timing in his writing, combined with a perfect understanding of his audience that all adds up to something great. And, beyond being a talented writer, he's simply a very funny man. I know they say the pictures are better on radio but I think radio where you get to see the actors doing silly faces might be even better.

Anyway. After the show was over (all too soon), I stayed around long enough to drink a coffee to counteract the effects of the gin I'd drunk to occupy myself while waiting for the show to start (I think a smartphone may well be the best invention ever for women alone in pubs with 45 minutes to wait).

While I was drinking my coffee and trying to plot a tube route back, several people were approaching John Finnemore, chatting with him and having their photo taken with him.

I'd like to say that my reluctance about this sort of thing is well founded. Years ago my sister and I got a pretty rude response when we asked a comedian we idolised to sign our tickets after a show. But that's not it. The truth is, I simply wouldn't know what to say.

The fact that my blog is 50% about radio probably makes my feelings on the matter clear: radio is important to people. Good drama carries you off to a different world but good comedy reaches down into YOUR world and makes it a little brighter and a little better. I'd like to think that, if I came face-to-face with any of the comedians or writers I respect, that I'd be able to tell them:

"Thank you. Not just for making me laugh today but thank you for every time you've made me smile. I know you might not realise it but you're not just entertaining people, you're making their lives better. It might be just a smile or a laugh but smiles and laughs can turn bad days around. Thank you for cheering me up when nothing else in my day was going well. Thank you for distracting me and reminding me that life isn't really that serious as I drive home with nothing but work in my head. Thank you for sharing your worlds and you words and your wit with us. Oh, and thanks to you, the people on the bus think I get weird facial spasms because i'm trying so hard not to laugh out loud. Thanks."

But I know what'd come out. "Thanks, that was great". Or, even worse, "I'm a big fan". Urgh. Probably with a very nervous laugh too.

The line betwen appreciation and crazy fangirl stalking can be a pretty fine one and I'm staying firmly on this side. I'll leave the talking to the people who can express themselves better, or at the very least, to those who are completely oblivious to the crazy fangirl line.

I will leave you with this, courtesy of Angel tube station:
(Actually, I've no idea where this thing is going to put the photo. Sorry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment