Sunday 4 March 2012

Change Management

"They're not called 'plays' and more," my mum told me while we were discussing the Play of the Week podcast. "They're called 'dramas'."

I don't really have a lot to say about that. I have no doubt that it's the sort of change that usually drives pedantic radio geeks a little crazy. After all, as a species Radio 4 listeners are not huge fans of change and renaming every slot in a particular genre is a rather brave step. But I've read the Radio 4/4 Extra blog post about the change and the reasoning seems sound, especially in light of the near-constant trailing of "Original British Drama" on the BBC. Let's face it: Drama is what the BBC excels at, it makes sense to put that front and centre in the schedule.

Now, as a fully paid-up devotee of More Or Less, it would be unforgivable if I were to suggest that correlation equals causation. That would be stupid, especially as I have absolutely no insight into the drama scheduling department of Radio 4. And so, I shall simply comment on a particularly interesting correlation and make no suggestion at all about causation.

Radio 4 have changed 'Play' to 'Drama'.
Also:
There have been some damned good dramas on recently!

Usually I keep an eye on the Afternoon Play Drama but, although there might be one episode per week that I listen to, it's rarely more than that. I'm a sucker for an on-going series (McLevy, Number10, the weird and wonderful Pilgrim) but there needs to be something eye-catching in the description in order to overcome my usual unjustified apathy.

Well, over the last couple of weeks it's been hard to find a drama I didn't listen to. Okay, so Interrogation, Number 10 and Stone all satisfy my cravings for a series but, come on, Benedict Cumberbatch in Rumpole of the Bailey? You can't tell me that a picture of him (complete with Sherlock scarf and hair) in the Radio Times and front page of the Radio 4 website haven't pulled in a few more listeners to the newly-named Afternoon Drama. Even my non-radio-listening sister read the write-up of Rumpole.

I'm not saying that this is intentional front-loading of the new drama slot but, if it is, I don't blame them. Anything that brings a more listeners to the radio - and to radio drama in particular - is a good thing. After all, the afternoon play has always been a source for surprising gems in the schedule and, if the last two weeks are anything to go by, a new name isn't going to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment