Tuesday 4 September 2012

Radio 404: Not Found

I'm not sure how this keeps happening but it's time for another trip to London, this time it's thanks to a conference that should be both interesting and informative. It also happens to start at 9am which is far too early for me to travel up in the morning. One of my friends is in the same position so we'll be going up the night before because the alternative is a 04:30 start and still missing the first half hour of the conference, which is something that no one wants to see.

As you'd expect of me, I checked the BBC ticket site for recordings that evening. Most of September is already fully booked but there was one recording on the night that we'll be there: Party.

My brain did something a little unexpected and I got the mental equivalent of a radio 404 error. I've never heard of Party, that's odd. Is it new? Nope, it's the third series being recorded. Have I just got confused and is it actually The Party Line, The Party Party or one of the other political comedies with the word 'party' in their titles? Nope.

Now I don't claim to be an expert and I don't imagine that I've heard every radio comedy broadcast in the last few years. But I was a little surprised. I was even more surprised when I mentioned it to my friend and he said "The one where they're students? That's really funny! Well, I think it is. It's quite funny. I think."

I know I've written before about the difficulty of recommending comedies to other people but this is the first time I've been on the receiving end. The more we talked about going to the recording, the less certain my friend was about how funny Party really was. I've done exactly the same thing. There are a couple of things that I'm absolutely certain are funny and would insist that everyone should hear but there are all too many programmes that are obviously hilarious to me but are completely lost on others.

Fortunately, I have faith in my friend's taste (even though he doesn't get Bleak Expectations for some reason). So we've applied for tickets, received tickets and now we're taking a half day so we can travel up to London and get in the queue at a reasonable time. After complaining at the start of the year that I couldn't get to see the Now Show this will be my third recording of 2012. I feel more than a little greedy.

As I'm going to a recording, I thought it was only sensible to have some idea of what the plot is, so I've bought series two of Party from iTunes (Why not series 1? Ask iTunes). Fortunately, it turns out that my friend is right and it is funny. Really very funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment