Wednesday 28 December 2011

A lesson in trusting my instincts

 
3.25 mm

3.5mm.
I have no excuse for the stripes
Well, the hat is finished. It was supposed to be a slouchy hat but a whole new word needs to be invented for just how big this hat is. Oh well. My initial test piece was 3.25mm and I should have known to stick with that. It's not that it doesn't fit, more that it looks a bit of a joke because I can fit my whole head inside and pull it right down to my chin!







New lesson:
My tension is incredibly
different on circular needles.

The hat is currently drying/blocking so hopefully I can get some photos tomorrow and start the process of convincing myself that it's not as bad as all that. In the mean time I've started another draft of the hat on 3.25mm needles. It's also a good excuse to try it out with a self-striping sock yarn, I'm sure I must have something suitable in the Big Box of Yarn, otherwise I'll be talking myself into a trip to Get Knitted on Saturday.


 
I've also started something that I've had in mind for a while, using Nimu Yarn's Sizergh yarn. Either this is going to be a super-effective scarf or I'm going to hate myself for wasting such stunning yarn. The skein I have is a breathtakingly beautiful midnight blue with tiny splashes of colours. It's shimmery and soft and fabulous. The pattern needs something contrasting but it's hard to imagine anything worthy of being used with the Sizergh. The best I could do is spin some lovely soft Blue Faced Leicester. I'm out of practice so it's rather inconsistent (no, it's textured - as my teacher would say) but hopefully it should be a good contrast. Not sure how much I'm going to love this though, it's going to have ends to sew in and already I know that it looked far better in my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment