Tuesday 20 December 2011

I dream in hats

Well, okay, I don't dream in hats. That would be unusual and probably unpleasant. But I woke up yesterday with a fully formed hat in my head, right down to the colour combinations. Normally when I get attacked by pattern ideas I just draw a clumsy sketch in notebook and plan to come back later but I made the critical mistake of going to the shops yesterday. So now I have the wool (five balls) and a really clear picture in my head of what I'm planning but no actual idea of how to make the hat.

The main problem is: it's 4-ply. I got bored/annoyed enough at a double knit hat but 4-ply? I'm going to go crazy. Also, I've recently decided that hats don't really suit me, or at least the sort that are head-shaped don't. So I'm aiming for a slouchy, 4-ply, tam-ish-but-not-too-flat, colourwork hat. Urgh I'm going to regret this so very much.

But there's something about this challenge that I think will keep me nicely occupied over Christmas. The main challenge is that I've never made a hat in anything like this spec before so charting it is going to be an absolute bugger. In an ideal world I'd make one all in white, draw all over it with marker pens and see what comes out of it. Short of that I've no idea how to work it through properly because it's going to have a non-repeating pattern. Which is going to make it a bugger to fit into a PDF too.

The reason I know this is going to be worth doing is that I know I'm going to hate knitting it but I still can't stop planning it. Although I woke up with it in mind, it's actually the culmination of several ideas I've been considering for a while, I just hope it's going to look as good in real life as it does in my mind's eye. What I'm aiming for is something calm and plant/glass panel-ish. Sort of like what sleeping beauty's conservatory might have looked like after a ten years or so. Wow, that's going to make for a lame name.

Now, time to get some 2.5mm circulars

No comments:

Post a Comment