Sunday 18 December 2011

Any excuse is a good excuse

In my book, any excuse for a Dickens season is a good one. And a 200 year anniversary is about as good as excuses get. Although Dickens was born in February, no one will begrudge the BBC starting their season in time for Christmas. In fact, I think they've shown more restraint than I might but then I'm rather partial to Dickens dramatisations, especially when they're on a suitably large scale.

That's why (with the possible exception of the Cabin Pressure special) the new version of A Tale of Two Cities is the radio programme that I'm most looking forward to this Christmas. I was surprised to see the BBC promoting it as the first version for radio in twenty years: I had no idea that the previous version 4 Extra dates from 1989. Maybe 20 years isn't as long ago as I think it is.

I always felt there was something fascinating about Dickens but, until I read A Christmas Carol, I never managed to get further than the first page or so of anything I tried. Probably because of the staggering sentence lengths. I think perhaps I couldn't understand why he was so respected when he didn't know how to express himself concisely. But, when I had a little more patience, I threw myself into A Christmas Carol and loved it like a private secret. I felt as though it had revealed the hidden code and truth behind every adaptation and reinterpretation of the story.

Over the last few years I've kept an eagle eye out for the various Dickens dramas that have appeared on 4 Extra. Although there have been some great versions of Oliver Twist, Little Dorrit and other well known books, I've most enjoyed the stories I didn't know.

I'm not sure what initially put me off A Tale of Two Cities, probably the idea of the setting. I don't really know what I was expecting but I do know that I was very wrong. The seven hour 1989 version drew me in to a surprising extent. There's a clarity to the story that I love and the threads that draw the characters ever closer are strong and fascinating. A Tale of Two Cities fascinated me and I decided to by a copy of the book.

The time between a decision and me actually acting on it can be long. Very long. And for some reason my irrational wariness had returned. Okay, so A Christmas Carol is one thing. But A Tale of Two Cities... well... a book set in the French revolution is going to be hard going. What if I can't make it through? I love the story but what if it's all just too grim?

Idiot.

I love books, with rather fastidious care and attention to corners I keep them safe, never crack a spine and refuse to lend them - even to my closest family - for fear of the terrible fates that might befall them. This is not an attitude that lends itself to buying second hand books. That much book-abuse is just too hard to look at. But in Dunster there's a little second-hand/rare book shop and there I found a little pocket copy of A Tale of Two Cities. It's not glamorous but it's small, has delicate thin pages and a blue cloth cover (something I find irresistible in any book).

I started reading that night and I couldn't believe what a fool I'd been. Not only was it easy going but I couldn't believe the humour of it, nor how much it touched me.
    "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other."
Has anyone ever put it better? I can't imagine how.

So I am very much looking forward to the new adaptation. Hopefully five 45 minute plays will do it justice, it's a story that deserves its every vile tw, ever good deed and every tragic turn in all their perfect detail. My only complaint is that Carl Prekopp will be wasted as Jerry Cruncher.

Oh, and I do wish it was being broadcast a little closer to February. I've not quite finished reading yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment