Tuesday 1 October 2013

Three Men In A Boat

When I was younger, I asked my mum what her favourite book was. I don't know what I expected the answer to be but "Three Men in a Boat" was a little perplexing. I'd never heard of it and I couldn't for the life of me imagine how a story about three men in a boat could possibly be as interesting as books about dragons and spaceships and adventures.

I'm sorry to say that I never made the effort to find out. So, when I saw that there was a Radio 4 Classic Serial version coming along, I knew I had to listen. Even more so when I found out that it starred Steve Punt, Hugh Dennis and Julian Rhind-Tutt <insert swoon>.

I truly laughed out loud when listening and I'd recommend giving it a go if you're similarly ignorant. Now I have to know how much of that is down to the dramatisation and how much to the original material. I may not have had the sense to take my mum's recommendation when I was little but Three Men in a Boat is definitely on my reading list now.

No comments:

Post a Comment