Sunday 29 September 2013

Minley

Third time lucky. Following some extensive testing, I was pretty sure I had my new pattern sorted. Cascade 220 has something of a reputation amongst my knitting group (okay, amongst me and my friend) as the why-would-I-try-anything-else yarn. And that's a well deserved reputation.

It comes in a stupefying range of colours that is guaranteed to make the most decisive yarn buyer hesitate. It's 100% wool, so it blocks wonderfully. It's reasonably priced and I've never had problems with knots or quality. If you've not tried Cascade 220, do yourself a favour and give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

Anyway, I'd initially ordered a nice dusky purple for my final (definitely, definitely final) draft of my scarf but it was out of stock. I was pleasantly pleased with the duck-egg blue I got instead and enjoyed giving the skeins a good squish before I got started. 



As I mentioned before, the pattern is quick and in next to no time I had my final, finished scarf. And after quite a lot of fighting and testing, it was finally the right shape, the right size and generally all-over right.

The scarf is modelled here by my colleague Elspeth in front of out lovely office atrium. The photo might have looked a little better had we not suffered a fire in the office (hence the weird plasterboard hoardings onto which we have drawn fish).



So all that was left was a name. With my other patterns, that has come along with the pattern itself and that was more or less the case with this scarf. 

There's a stately home called Minley Manor in Hampshire. It's a quite remarkable building that now serves as the officers' mess attached to Gibraltar Barracks. It's a warren of hallways and contradictory architectural choices but it is stunning. The wikipedia page has a photo that hardly does the beautiful, elegant building justice. The initial house has been added to over time and things don't always add up well but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And I like to think the same is true of my scarf. 

As with Minley-the-house, I started with an idea and then just added things until I was finished. I don't think I could have named it anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment